Sometimes users, despite the presence of a full-fledged anti-virus solutions, there is a need for alternative testing single suspicious file. For this purpose, online services are scanning files for viruses. I offer you a review of the most popular online-scanner – Virustotal from Hispasec Sistemas.
VirusTotal – is Online service that analyzes suspicious files and facilitates the quick detection of viruses, worms, trojans, and all kinds of malware detected by antivirus.
Virus scanner VirusTotal uses the following anti-virus technology (40 scanners):
Antiy-AVL, Avast, AhnLab-V3, AntiVir, Avast5, BitDefender, Commtouch, Comodo, Emsisoft, CAT-QuickHeal, ClamAV, eSafe, eTrust-Vet, F-Prot, Jiangmin, K7AntiVirus, Kaspersky, Fortinet, GData, Ikarus, McAfee, NOD32, Norman, nProtect, McAfee-GW-Edition, Prevx, Rising, Sophos, TrendMicro-HouseCall, SUPERAntiSpyware, Symantec, Microsoft, Panda, PCTools, TheHacker, TrendMicro, VBA32, VIPRE, ViRobot, VirusBuster.
Developer: Hispasec Sistemas Link: https://www.virustotal.com
– Use the highest compared to other relevant resources of anti-virus engines (42). Currently we are working on adding new engines, so we can expect an increase in their number.
– Global statistics of files to countries in real time.
Ability to check references.
– Registered users integrated into the community with the ability to leave comments to check the.
– Ability to search for reports on previously scanned files to cheksumm (MD5, SHA1 and SHA256) and hashtag (eg, # rootkit).
Localization – English and Spanish.
Additional tools (eg, a browser plugin, etc.)
– The maximum size of the scanned file – 32 MB.
– The number of anti-virus engines – 42.
– Scan time was about 1-2 minutes.
– The main page of a minimum of information – the usual File Download screen, etc. – Indicator of the current service load is not present.
But the message on the status of the file in the queue scan (if any).
Sometimes, the final decision about the malicious / non malicious files are very helpful user comments.
In addition, registered users can vote for the “karma” of the file, which is also sometimes be out of place when making a decision about the benefits of the. Voting result is displayed as an informative picture on the right of the block with the data on a scanned file in the results of analysis.
If the file is already checked previously scanned, the service gives the result and date of the last scan, as well as offering a full view recent analysis or to rescan the file again (of course, with the current virus databases).
Exhaustively provides information on scanned files, including the possible names that file is distributed, and the date of the first and the last scan.
Of the minuses – mean time scanning and version used for each of the vendors is not. Awkward date format upgrade engines.
Overall, the new design looks nice and comfortable. Usability can be estimated at 5 points.