DDOS Attacks have Increased in Number and Size
According to statistics Prolexic Technologies, in January-March 2013 the average power of DDoS-attacks increased by 718% to 48.25 Gb / s. Moreover, the experts pointed upward trend to growth of pps-indicator: last quarter it reached 32.4 million packets per second. This indicator is usually not taken into account in statistical reports, but attacks with high pps aimed, primarily, on a conclusion out of operation such elements of infrastructure, as network interface cards and boundary routers. To cope with multi-million pps-flow can only the most expensive devices, the threshold is definitely lower than the other.
About 25% DDoS-attacks, blocked Prolexic, were incidents of less than 1 Gb / s, 11% of this figure exceeded 60 Gb / s. The most powerful DDoS-attack was recorded in March – 130 GB / s. Trying to resist the attacks of high power, many network operators and Internet service providers are forced to filter all traffic to the targeted user’s IP-address, to keep the efficiency of the other hosts on the network. This is known as nullrouting, or blackholing, and very unpleasant for the locked client. As regards, pps-indicator, in 22% of cases it exceeded 20 million, 26% – fell below 1 million, which is typical for the application layer attacks. The most “fruitful” month was March, which accounted for 44% of quarterly DDoS-attacks, reports securelist.com.
According to Prolexic, 76,54% DDoS-attacks were conducted using protocols 3rd and 4th level, and the rest – at the application level. The most widely used types of attacks such as SYN flood (25,83%), HTTP GET flood (19,33%), UDP flood (16,32%) and ICMP flood (15,53%).
Prolexic report in the short form:
Compared to Q4 2012
– Average power of DDoS-attacks increased by 718%, from 5.9 to 48.25 Gb / s;
– The average duration of attacks has increased by 7.14%, from 32.2 to 34.5 hours;
– The number of network layer attacks increased by 3.65%, the application layer – has decreased by 3.85%;
– The total number of incidents has increased by 1.75%;
Compared to the 1st quarter 2012
– Average power of DDoS-attacks increased by 691%, from 6.1 to 48.25 Gb / s;
– The average duration of attacks increased by 21%, from 28.5 to 34.5 hours;
– The number of network layer attacks increased by 26.75%, the application layer – 8%;
the total number of incidents has increased by 21.75%.
List of source countries DDoS-traffic again led China, albeit with lower (40.68% of incidents). This was followed in descending order followed by the U.S. (21.88%), Germany (10.59%) and new member of ranking – Iran (5.51%).